[Users] Still unable to boot in system with UEFI

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 16:35:50 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 11:05 AM, Federico Alberto Sayd wrote:
> El 15/02/12 12:34, Joey Boggs escribió:

>>> Super grub disk detects the grub.cfg from ovirt's installation and
>>> loads the system from this configuration. Therefore I assume that
>>> the kernel parameters from grub config loads the system with EFI
>>> enabled.
>>>
>>> The grub config from grub's console is:
>>>
>>> setparams 'oVirt Node Hypervisor 2.2.2-2.2.fc16'
>>>
>>> set root=(hd0,3)
>>> linux /vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=Root ro rootfstype=auto rootflags=ro
>>> crashkernel=512M-2G:64M,2G-:128M elevator=deadline quiet rd_NO_LVM
>>> rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
>>> initrd /initrd0.img
>>
>> EFI boot process is done before the grub config comes into play, and
>> the grub config has a few extra lines in it. The machine I'm testing
>> on when you goto the boot menu will show UEFI: $CD_DEVICE_NAME or for
>> boot entries for ovirt it would show:  oVirt Node Hypervisor If your
>> grub cd supports efi booting it will be noticeable in the boot menu.
>> In order to do an efi installation it has to be booted in efi mode
>> for it to properly setup the boot entries.
>>
> Before the Ovirt entry on Grub menu, Grub2 displays the config detected:
>
> setparams '(hd0,gpt3)/grub2/grub.cfg'  'hd0,gpt3'
> '(hd0,gpt3)/grub2/grub.cfg'
>
> cfg_device="$2"
> cfg="$3"
> root="$cfg_device"
> configfile "$cfg"
>
> Is there where "UEFI:" parameter must be present?
>
> Sorry, I am a newbie to UEFI and Grub2, meanwhile I am reading all I
> can about Grub2 and UEFI
>
> Thanks
>
> Thanks

You would see it just past the machine posting, on mine you would press
F8 to reach a boot menu and then select cd/usb/etc from there. The uefi
trigger happens similar to the machine reading a mbr on a drive. One way
to notice if its working or not it a higher resolution perception on the
monitor, text is smaller and the screen doesn't appear as the normal
80x25 console line/columns. You just need to find the right combination
of keys to get in the menu. By livecd-tools defaults the ovirt-node iso
supports efi loading. Grub2/uefi support in Fedora isn't quite there
yet, so in this case we're still using legacy grub's efi loader and
writing an alternate grub config to match it, similar to how Fedora is
doing it until grub2 support is there.