[Users] Setting UUID

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sat Feb 18 21:15:55 UTC 2012

On 18/02/12 22:33, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Livnat Peer wrote:
>
>> How about setting the VM name instead of UUID? It won't update
>> permissions automatically though.
>
> Not sure I follow, VM name is good, but there are all sorts of things
> that care about UUID changing.

off the top my head I can think of
- permissions
- events
- tags
- quota

Permission and Quota can be handled manually the other two won't point
to 'new' VM.

> That is why we are looking for the
> ability to set it. Today it looks like all UUIDs are random, and I
> assume that a UUID needs to be unique, but how hard would it be to be
> able to specify a UUID? Libvirt allows this to be done and we do it all
> the time in our XML kvm files.

Changing VM id does not sound like a complicated feature, when designing
such a feature need to think of what are the impact on the history DB
and events in the audit log (if such id was in use before).