[Users] Setting UUID

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 07:43:30 UTC 2012

On 02/18/2012 11:15 PM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> On 18/02/12 22:33, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Livnat Peer wrote:
>>
>>> How about setting the VM name instead of UUID? It won't update
>>> permissions automatically though.
>>
>> Not sure I follow, VM name is good, but there are all sorts of things
>> that care about UUID changing.
>
> off the top my head I can think of
> - permissions
> - events
> - tags
> - quota
>
> Permission and Quota can be handled manually the other two won't point
> to 'new' VM.
>
>> That is why we are looking for the
>> ability to set it. Today it looks like all UUIDs are random, and I
>> assume that a UUID needs to be unique, but how hard would it be to be
>> able to specify a UUID? Libvirt allows this to be done and we do it all
>> the time in our XML kvm files.
>
> Changing VM id does not sound like a complicated feature, when designing
> such a feature need to think of what are the impact on the history DB
> and events in the audit log (if such id was in use before).

Nathan - it would be good to start by explaining if you care about the
UUID as the engine sees it, or as devices and applications see it in the
guest.
I'm guessing you care about the guest.
to do what you want, would rquire decoupling the uuid as used by engine
to identify the guest, from the one vdsm exposes to the guest.
today the entire chain (including libvirt) uses the same uuid.