[Users] Is it possible to run the node and engine on the same box?

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sun Feb 19 18:51:54 UTC 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Brent Bolin wrote:

> I've used XEN, ESX and now i'm focusing on KVM because that's where I
> think the technology is going.  Very interested in the GUI management
> and not having to use windows for the engine database(ESX) or windows
> client(vSphere).
>
> The ovirt node ISO is still pretty buggy from what I've seen.  stdout
> errors and the install just not working without more then one attempt.
> Even tried breaking in as root to install ovirt engine repos without
> success.  Getting some odd errors when trying to set the root password
> to a known value.

Hmm, have not tried the ISO because we also run other things on the host
such as gluster. Its just easier for us to start from a minimal F16
install.

> Any way I was able to install ovirt engine and vdsm by looking at the
> install guides using fedora 16 x86_64 DVD ISO.  Doing a minimal
> install.
>
> Was able to bring up the mgmt UI.  Saw exactly what your talking about
> requiring a reboot when adding a node host.  Wasn't sure if that's the
> way it's suppose to work or not.  Kinda like the surgeon working on
> his own hands!.  Don't think the node registration fully installed
> itself because it re-booty up'ed itself.

Once things come back up you should be able to restart disarmed and have it
talked to the engine.

> Networking isn't very clear if the above was tried.  Example: using
> loopback 127.0.0.1 as the host node address.  Not sure if the node
> host has to be reachable via a bridged network etc... .

There are a LOT of different ways to set it up, I have dual nicks so I bond
them together with:

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
MTU=9000
BOOTPROTO=no
ONBOOT=yes
BONDING_OPTS="mode=4 miimon=100"
BRIDGE=ovirtmgmt

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
MTU=9000
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
MTU=9000
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

I don't really like the requirement for ovirtmgmt, since we already have a
private bridge I wish I could use that, but since overt requires it...

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-ovirtmgmt
DEVICE=ovirtmgmt
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.13.1.101
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.13.1.1
TYPE=Bridge

Ovirt will use that IP for things like spice, so your going to need to
make sure it is reachable at least locally.

I then have two vlans, VLAN2 for private and VLAN8 for public IP traffic
from my VMs.

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-bond0.2
DEVICE=bond0.2
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
VLAN=yes
BRIDGE=private

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-bond0.8
DEVICE=bond0.8
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
VLAN=yes
BRIDGE=public

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-private
DEVICE=private
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
TYPE=Bridge

[root at virt1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-public
DEVICE=public
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
TYPE=Bridge

A setup like the above is not required, just works for us.

> Thought it was worth the question because I'd like to know.

I have been running KVM/OpenVZ/Xen for years, but I am very new (read a
few weeks) to ovirt. I like it much better then our manual / scrips we use
in production today and hope to have it in production as soon as I figure
out a few more things.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com