[Users] Is it possible to run the node and engine on the same box?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 20:37:06 UTC 2012

> The ovirt node ISO is still pretty buggy from what I've seen.  stdout
> errors

I believe this was fixed in the latest ISO build, and fwiw it's
completely cosmetic.

> and the install just not working without more then one attempt.

Can you provide more details?  Otherwise we can't fix the issues.

>  Even tried breaking in as root to install ovirt engine repos without
> success.  Getting some odd errors when trying to set the root password
> to a known value.

Echoing what Doron said in his reply... Don't try to install oVirt
Engine onto oVirt Node.  The stateless nature of oVirt Node makes
running the mgmt server there not possible.

If you want to run the Engine on the same machine as other oVirt
controlled VMs, then you should use a heavyweight install of Fedora and
put the Engine and VDSM side by side on that.

The fact that you can't easily run oVirt Engine on the oVirt Node is not
a bug, or a sign of instability.  It's simply not what oVirt Node was
designed for.

Perry