[Users] Is it possible to run the node and engine on the same box?

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:17:52 UTC 2012

Replies inserted into the message.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Perry Myers <pmyers at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The ovirt node ISO is still pretty buggy from what I've seen.  stdout
>> errors
>
> I believe this was fixed in the latest ISO build, and fwiw it's
> completely cosmetic.
>
>> and the install just not working without more then one attempt.
>
> Can you provide more details?  Otherwise we can't fix the issues.

Just that the installer says it fails and the only option is to
reboot.  Sometimes going into the troubleshooting option and selecting
"reinstall" fixes it other times not.  Makes me wonder if ovirt iso
install can't handle pre existing partions/lvm remnants.

>>  Even tried breaking in as root to install ovirt engine repos without
>> success.  Getting some odd errors when trying to set the root password
>> to a known value.
>
> Echoing what Doron said in his reply... Don't try to install oVirt
> Engine onto oVirt Node.  The stateless nature of oVirt Node makes
> running the mgmt server there not possible.

I don't understand this statement.  Are you talking about firewall
stateless connections?

> If you want to run the Engine on the same machine as other oVirt
> controlled VMs, then you should use a heavyweight install of Fedora and
> put the Engine and VDSM side by side on that.
>
> The fact that you can't easily run oVirt Engine on the oVirt Node is not
> a bug, or a sign of instability.  It's simply not what oVirt Node was
> designed for.

I understand this.  However in these days of my old age I don't run
half a dozen chassis, skins, power supplies, hd's, mb etc... like to
use virtualization hosts for my personal lab environment.  Right now I
accomplish this using a kvm host and virt-manager

The real power from what I read about the ovirt road map is using
native kvm, management server without the need of windows server,
vmotion type clustering etc...

I am going to look over Doron notes.  Specifically the networking.

Cheers... keep up the good work.

btb