[Users] Is it possible to run the node and engine on the same box?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 07:47:05 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 09:12 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> On 19/02/12 19:21, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Brent,
>>> ovirt-node is read-only by nature (with the exception of some configurations).
>>> This means you cannot simply install rpm's on it. Instead both vdsm and the
>>> engine core needs to be pre-built on the node. This is not trivial, as the
>>> engine core requires many packages.
>>>
>>> If we assume you're using standard Fedora to be able to install rpm's, then
>>> we come to the next set of issues; co-hosting engine core with vdsm. There
>>> are things that need to be taken care of such as-
>>> - Adding the same host as a new host into the engine will cause reboot, which
>>> is not a good thing to do to the engine core during the installation process
>>> of the host..
>
> We are adding a flag (host property) to avoid host reboot at the end of
> host installation.
> This will be available soon and we are thinking to expose it only
> through the API (not in the UI).

I think there are two different reboot's being discussed here:
1. reboot at end of an ovirt-node installation by ovirt node
installation process (anaconda?)
2. reboot at end of configuring a full blown host (i.e., pre installed
fedora), by ovirt-engine.

I'm assuming perry was talking on #1.
doron is talking on #2, since all-in-one is not relevant at this point
for #1.
2. reb