[Users] Power Management with Supermicro IPMI

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Wed Feb 22 17:58:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Jorick Astrego wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We have some problems with the Power Management setup in ovirt.
>
> I'm unable to get the Power Management functionality working with our
> Supermicro MBD-X8DTT-HEF+ IPMI.
>
> Are there any special options to configure? I choose as type "ipmilan"
>
> Everything works fine manually with:
>
> ipmitool -H *.*.*.226 -U ADMIN sel

Just make sure IPMI IP is reachable from all the nodes, but at least with
my Supermicro IPMI I just enter:

Address			{ip}
User Name		ADMIN
Password		{password}
Type			ipmilan

I then hit Test and it works great. The only issue I have been having is
that sometimes the Supermicro IPMI IPs are unreachable for some odd reason
and I have to cold reset the IPMI card with the Supermicro IPMI tool.

I hope that in the future ovirt adds more then one fence option for a host
so I could use my APC power strips. Since each server requires a plug on
two strips there is no way to configure this.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com