[Users] test day: using VM has host for vdsm

Ryan Harper ryanh at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 18 17:26:43 UTC 2012

* Ryan Harper <ryanh at us.ibm.com> [2012-01-18 06:59]:
> I've created some f16 VMs that contain both ovirt-engine and a few
> to run vdsm as nodes.  When I add in the VM host into the engine and it
> attempts to install vdsm (even though I've already installed vdsm) the
> install fails because the vdsm install script is checking to see if the
> host has virt capabilities; since I'm not running nested KVM, this
> fails.  Is there a way to work around this can enable a VM to be a host
> in oVirt?  I had heard in the past there was a way to create fake VMs
> when attempting to do ovirt-engine stress testing, wondering if that
> might be of help here.

Now that I have one VM as a host in the UP state in ovirt-engine, let me
capture what I needed to get that to work:

On my F16-node, since I was following the test day instructions which
asked to install vdsm/vdsm-cli and this is already done by ovirt-engine
bootstrap.

1) uninstall vdsm and vdsm-cli
    - ovirt-engine will push down a vdsm package during the bootstrap
    process

2) disable selinux
    - edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set SELINUX=disabled
    - reboot

3) ensure ssl=false and fake_kvm_support=true in /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf

4) restart vdsmd

On the ovirt-engine instanes

# we have a gateway in the way so we're using ssh tunneling to access
# the ovirt-engine VM instance

1) re-install ovirt-engine and don't use localhost as the hostname since
this value is passed to the host you install vdsm on and it will fail to
push the bootstrap script down.  This means that after you setup your
tunnel, to get to the admin interface, you need to manually enter:

    http://localhost:8080/webadmin

2) edit /usr/share/ovirt-engine/engine.ear/components.war/vds/vds_bootstrap.py
and comment out lines 836->839, like this.

#    if not oDeploy.virtExplorer(random_num):
#        logging.error('virtExplorer test failed')
#        return False

3) some misc stuff (not sure if it is needed, but looks harmless enough)

   mkdir  /var/lock/ovirt-engine/
   chown  jboss-as:jboss-as -R /var/lock/ovirt-engine
   restorecon -Fvv  /var/lock/ovirt-engine

4) update jboss configuration to not use ssl

psql -U postgres engine -c "update vdc_options set option_value='false' where
+option_name='UseSecureConnectionWithServers' and version='general';"

5) restart jboss

service restart jboss-as

--
Ryan Harper