[Users] Host discovery failing due to host network being lost

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jan 28 08:27:08 UTC 2012

Hi ovirt users,

I was trying to check on IRC the below, did not get any replies, so
sending this mail.
Can someone help me understand what could be the issue that causing my
managed host to lose network settings, when i try to discover it from
ovirt-engine ?
I have to then manually (using a remote console) re-setup the network..
it even overrites my ifcfg-eth0 file

I see a new bridge getting added called ovirtmgmt and route entry corr.
to that.. the ifcfg-eth0 also has that entry
I feel that ovirt scripts running on the host should atleast take a
backup of the ifcfg* files they modify so that in case of issues like
these, user can login via remote console and restore the original ifcfg
file.

This is what i asked on IRC... responses appreciated...

deepakcs> Hello, i just configured ovirt-engine and discovering my first
managed host.. got some Qs
<deepakcs> what diff does it make when i select "override ip tables"
check box during new Host workflow ?
* djasa has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
<deepakcs> this is the second time i am discovering this host and
everytime the host discovery hangs during "Installing" and if i check
the host, it goes out of network.... has anybody faced this problem before ?
<deepakcs> While discovering the host, the host network ipv4 address is
gone ! and thus the host goes out of network

Some more updates..
1) I manually re-setup the host network, made it pingable, esp from the
ovirt-engine node, and clicked on Re-install on the web gui, this time
with the 'override ip tables' check enabled
2) this time it successfully completed the node bootstrap steps (as seen
from the Events window) and status was Reboot
3) But after reboot the same thing happened.. the host lost ipv4 addr,
route entries are completely gone and onthe web gui the host is seen as
non-responsive, which is expected bcos the host is not on the network
anymore...

what is the reason the above is happening ?