[Users] oVirt console plans

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 30 20:25:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:20:03PM +0200, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 09:10 PM, André Felício wrote:
> >There are plans to enable other types of console for oVirt? Access by
> >VNC or RPD?
> >
> >There are many SO (windows) that access by SPICE is a little tricky.
>
> What's tricky with Spice? If there's anything we can do to help make
> Spice easier to use, let us know.

I had a couple of issues when using spice that I can contribute to the
discussion:

* The Firefox plugin is not widely available for non-RH Linux distros.
* I did not find any documentation for creating an optimal Linux guest with
  spice.  (Windows documentation seems a bit more complete).
* The QXL device was showing up as a Standard VGA Controller in my Windows XP
  guest.
* Without optimizations, spice video and cursor responsiveness seemed much
  slower than vnc over a compressed SSH tunnel.

--
Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center