[Users] Online snapshot

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 4 15:36:58 UTC 2012

After looking into a qemu a bit,  I believe the snapshot operation on
the disk in oVirt is not a live snapshot, because the guest VM will be
paused by qemu when the snapshot is undergoing.    That is what qemu
monitor command "snapshot_blkdev" does and VDSM depends on that command
in low level.    Most likely,  the pausing time is non-trival for a
normal snapshot.

On 2012-6-29 0:37, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 06/28/2012 09:20 AM, Eric Blake wrote:

>> That's a system-checkpoint snapshot, because you didn't use --disk-only.
>>   When you say 'live snapshot' were you intending the fast operation of
>> just a disk snapshot (via the 'transaction' or 'blockdev-snapshot-sync'
>> monitor command) or the slow operation of a checkpoint (via the 'savevm'
>> monitor command)?

>> This qemu does not support the 'transaction' monitor command, so libvirt
>> has to fall back to the non-atomic 'blockdev-snapshot-sync', or else
>> give up because of missing functionality.

>> OK, so this is a case of VDSM driving a different use of the API than
>> what you did with your virsh command line.  VDSM is attempting to do the
>> equivalent of 'virsh snapshot-create --disk-only --reuse-ext', but
>> because your qemu doesn't support the 'transaction' command, libvirt
>> can't make qemu do what VDSM wants.  Basically, the
>> 'blockdev-snapshot-sync' command in qemu 1.0 lacks the ability to reuse
>> qcow2 metadata already present in the file pre-created by VDSM; this
>> wasn't added until the 'transaction' command of qemu 1.1.
>>

> ok, i guess the question is then when qemu 1.1 is expected in fedora

Shu Ming <shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory