[Users] oVirt 3.1 and Glusterfs how-to

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 07:16:51 UTC 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:01 , Itamar Heim wrote:

> On 07/05/2012 09:55 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 05:20:36PM -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
>>> I wrote a basic how to for using glusterfs under oVirt.  If you have
>>> any questions or you find mistakes please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> http://www.middleswarth.net/content/installing-ovirt-31-and-glusterfs-using-either-nfs-or-posix-native-file-system
>>
>> Nice blog entry(ies)!
>>
>> You mentions that "We need to open some ports. There are several ways to
>> do this..."
>> But actually I think it would be better if the iptables rules stored in
>> the Engine db are to be tweaked. Frankly, I hate storing files in
>> databases - that's what filesystems were designed for!
>> So it would be nicer if the rules are moved to vds_bootstrap, where you
>> could easily put two flavors thereof: one for gluster and one for
>> virt-only.
>
> I believe the reason the iptable rules are in the db is that we can configure some of the ports.
sounds to me similar to other issues like sysprep customizations…
we do want to have user frriendly interface and provide a nice config of the most useful parameters
yet we want to often provide better control for more advanced uses/users
Would it perhaps make sense to have a simple config with a nice GUI for few of the ports we do configure often, and an option of editing/uploading of iptables rules file? And I guess similarly for sysprep ...