[Users] Getting some 3.1 screencasts

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 17:11:01 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

At the team meeting today Jason Clift suggested that it would be great
to have some screencasts for the 3.1 release. I agree. So let's see if
we can make some!

To spread the load as much as possible, here's what I propose:

1. We come up with a set (5-10) of demo stories we want to tell in the
wiki. These should contain:
  * The feature we want to demo
  * The "before recording" set-up that needs to be done
  * The steps to demo the feature
  * A quick script that someone can follow to explain what they're doing.

I'd like a few of these scripts to be for existing oVirt features (say,
migrating a VM to a different node) and a few to be for features which
are new in 3.1 (see the release notes at
http://ovirt.org/wiki/Release_Notes_Draft for details there, we should
pick one or two nice visible features like all-in-one install).

2. From the scripts, we record the demos as .ogv using RecordMyDesktop
or GNOME Shell's built-in desktop recording

3. Finally, we do voice-overs to add a sound track to the demo (and if
we have any skilled sound engineers, some tasteful CC licenced
background music would be great!)

This way, we've broken down the creation of 5 screencasts into 15
different byte-sized tasks - script, video, voiceover - none of which
should take someone more that 20 minutes or half an hour - which
hopefully will make it easier to get them done together.

How does this plan sound?

If it sounds good, which features do you think we should screencast as
top priority?

Thanks!
Dave.
--