[Users] Getting some 3.1 screencasts

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Thu Jul 5 20:43:53 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 04:24 PM, Andrew Cathrow wrote:

> [...]
Yes my list missed the basic one creating a VM and you are right the
basic's are what we want to start with.  We also need to get it simple
unless we are looking at creating a movie that can work but you need to
do it in short segments demoing certain features in each video but it
can be hard to get right.  Best to remember kiss when working with video's.

Thanks
Robert

>> I'm guessing that the number of things we'll want to demo will be
>> small
>> enough that the priority will be obvious. We can always do more, as
>> long
>> as we respect the priority listand get the most important ones done
>> before the release, if possible.
>>
>>> of the features like Glusterfs integration might be to complex for
>>> a 5
>>> to 10 min video.
>> True. Although the actual "add Glusterfs as a storage node" demo
>> could
>> be literally 30s - but of course, we wouldn't be showing how to set
>> up
>> the Glusterfs cluster in that.
>>
>> As I understand it, the steps are:
>>
>> 1. Turn on Gluster support in the Clusters preferences of the Engine
>> 2. Ensure vdsm-gluster is installed on the node
>> 3. Create a volume in the Engine preferences, add some bricks, and
>> make
>> it available to nodes.
>>
>> I got all this from your tutorials, there may be small but important
>> steps I've left out - but if we assume that someone has an engine,
>> some
>> nodes, and a Gluster set-up as prerequisites, then we can get it down
>> a 10 minute webcast.
>>
>> I do take your point, though. In general anything longer than 5-10
>> minutes (5 minutes is the sweet spot, anything longer than 15, people
>> won't watch) is too long, and we should break it up into steps, each
>> of
>> which makes sense on its own.

>>> Sounding like a good overview now it is time to get into the mud
>>> and
>>> figure out how to implement that.
>> Cool :) What I like to hear. For recording audio, I was thinking very
>> simply, record a sound-track while talking along to the video. You'll
>> need some kind of a script to make it go well, and I'd expect that
>> it'll
>> take 4 or 5 takes before you'll have something you're happy with, but
>> if
>> you cut down the demo to the bare bones, it can work really well.

>>> Well I think you have already hit one of the most useful ones.
>>>
>>> 1) VM migrations
>>>
>>> Other simple idea that might make useful video's are.
>>>
>>> 2) The Log Collector (engine-log-collector),  Maybe even showing
>>> the
>>> creation of a BZ report?
>>> 3)  Uploading ISO (engine-iso-uploader), May be a little simple but
>>> we
>>> could combine with getting the ISO for windows drivers?
>>> 4)  How to upload images (engine-image-uploader) or Migrating from
>>> another system using something like virt-v2v / virt-p2v
>>> 5)  Cloning a Virtual Machine from a Snapshot.
>>> 6)  Creating Templates
>>> 7)  Pinning Virtual Machines to specific physical CPUs
>>> 8)  Setup multiple networks showing how to activate and connecting
>>> to a
>>> hosts.
>>> 9)  Adding storage domains?  Building a data center?