[Users] Q on ovirt datacentre and host storage types

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 15:59:13 UTC 2012

On 02/29/2012 01:42 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> Hi, got few basic Qs in my mind. Appreciate a response.
>
> 1) Why is it that the data domains must be of the same type as that of
> datacentre ? What is the goal behind having
> this constraint ? It seems useful to have a datacentre w/o having any
> storage restrictions.. i should be able to add
> hosts w/o worrying abt the storage types... why is it not so... looking
> to understand the reason behind this design
> decision.

old design decision. planning to remove it for a future version (not the
second one planned for may)

> 2) If i have a set of host systems all connected to shared FC storage,
> is there a way for me to configure LUNs
> exclusively for each host, meaning have ability to control what LUN each
> hosts sees ? Can this be done using oVirt today ? My understanding is
> that this cannot be done via ovirt, zoning of LUNs to host has to be
> done separately and not via ovirt, is that correct ?

storage domains share the LUN for multiple VMs.
do you want a LUN per VM disk ("direct lun")?
please explain the use case.

> 3) If i have to create and run 1000 VMs (say), how can i automate that
> using ovirt, what is the best way to do that ?

as oved stated, sdk/cli/api are best for automation, less all are from
same template, where you could use pools.