[Users] console confusion

Robin Bowes robin.bowes at yo61.com
Thu Mar 8 09:21:45 UTC 2012

Ask yourself this: what's the first thing *anyone* is going to want to do after the initial install/setup? Yes, that's right - create a VM and connect to the console to do an install.

Switching to a new protocol (spice) is all very well, but only if clients are easily available for all common platforms. As I understand things, it's only available as a package on F16?

Now, the non-availability of spice clients should not be a problem as oVirt also supports VNC which has always been perfectly adequate as a remote client for me in the past (esp. for headless, console-based servers). But, there is no easy way to find the VNC port that a given VM is using or to set the VNC password. I figured it out, and could probably script something to do it automatically, but that should be necessary for such a fundamental task!

Please forgive my rant, but I'd just like to say that, as someone coming new to oVirt, I think the whole console issue is a bit of a mess and should be made a priority to sort out.

R.