[Users] console confusion

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 09:53:10 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

We are packing it now for Windows, we have this packaged downstream (RHEV), now we're re-working that for upstream.
The work is ongoing we need to add to the matrix. Other distributions are starting to package spice now.
After that we need to look at other platforms such as Mac OS.

> Now, the non-availability of spice clients should not be a problem as
> oVirt also supports VNC which has always been perfectly adequate as
> a remote client for me in the past (esp. for headless, console-based
> servers). But, there is no easy way to find the VNC port that a
> given VM is using or to set the VNC password. I figured it out, and
> could probably script something to do it automatically, but that
> should be necessary for such a fundamental task!
>
> Please forgive my rant, but I'd just like to say that, as someone
> coming new to oVirt, I think the whole console issue is a bit of a
> mess and should be made a priority to sort out.

Agree, but remember with oVirt you're working with a community project not an end-user product where you can make feature requests.
There are interesting options for VNC, most notably NoVNC that could be integrated - but it needs someone to drive this.

In the mean time there's a relatively straightforward way to launch a VNC client for a VM by using the API.
Dan's working on an example of that now that we'll post on the wiki,

Aic