[Users] Unable to import template across DC

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 10:53:00 UTC 2012

On 03/12/2012 11:05 AM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> Hi,
> I have 2 DC's, nfs based and localfs based.
>
> On the nfs dc:
> 1) I created a nfs export domain, and exported the VM template (
> precreated) to my nfs export domain
>
> 2) I detached the export domain from nfs dc
>
> On the localfs dc:
> 1) I attached the export domain to the localfs dc
>
> 2) When i select export-domain on the Storage tab, under Details ->
> template-import, i see the
> template, but i don't see any option of import there. Basically cannot
> import the template.
>
> 3) When i go to Template tab, the template is seen, but under Cluster
> column, it still shows
> the nfs-cluster to which it belongs, not to the localfs cluster. When i
> try to edit the template,
> it does not allow me to select the DC, its disabled/greyed and stays as
> nfs-dc. So even if the template
> is seen under localfs dc, i cannot use it to create a VM
>
> 4) When i try to create a new server / desktop VM, only when i select
> nfsdc, i get the option of selecting my template, if i select localfs
> dc, my template is not seen in the drop down box
>
> So unable to use the template to create a new VM in the destination dc.

you can't import the template to same engine more today. you need this
implemented first to support re-importing same tempalte and creating new
identifiers for the entities.
http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/ImportMoreThanOnce

workarounds until then (involve more IO):
the image-uploader has logic to do this as well, may worth looking at
you can also create a VM from the template, create a new template from
it, then export, delete, import.

yes, ugly, hence the feature page above to fix it.