[Users] Unable to import template across DC

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 11:39:59 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 06:53 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 11:05 AM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have 2 DC's, nfs based and localfs based.
>>
>> On the nfs dc:
>> 1) I created a nfs export domain, and exported the VM template (
>> precreated) to my nfs export domain
>>
>> 2) I detached the export domain from nfs dc
>>
>> On the localfs dc:
>> 1) I attached the export domain to the localfs dc
>>
>> 2) When i select export-domain on the Storage tab, under Details ->
>> template-import, i see the
>> template, but i don't see any option of import there. Basically cannot
>> import the template.
>>
>> 3) When i go to Template tab, the template is seen, but under Cluster
>> column, it still shows
>> the nfs-cluster to which it belongs, not to the localfs cluster. When i
>> try to edit the template,
>> it does not allow me to select the DC, its disabled/greyed and stays as
>> nfs-dc. So even if the template
>> is seen under localfs dc, i cannot use it to create a VM
>>
>> 4) When i try to create a new server / desktop VM, only when i select
>> nfsdc, i get the option of selecting my template, if i select localfs
>> dc, my template is not seen in the drop down box
>>
>> So unable to use the template to create a new VM in the destination dc.
>
> you can't import the template to same engine more today. you need this
> implemented first to support re-importing same tempalte and creating
> new identifiers for the entities.
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/ImportMoreThanOnce
>
> workarounds until then (involve more IO):
> the image-uploader has logic to do this as well, may worth looking at
> you can also create a VM from the template, create a new template from
> it, then export, delete, import.
Yes, the image uploader can do this.  If you're interested please try
the new GIT repo [1].

Also, the manpage has some instructions for creating an OVF image from
an exported template.

[1] If you want to use the *new* stuff do this...
1. git clone http://gerrit.ovirt.org/p/ovirt-image-uploader
2. git fetch http://gerrit.ovirt.org/p/ovirt-image-uploader
refs/changes/55/2755/1 && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD
3. cd ovirt-image-uploader
4. export APP_VERSION=1.0.0; export APP_RELEASE=1
5. make
6. you're done