[Users] Passing a hint/message to a VM when it boots

Kyrre Begnum kyrre.begnum at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:05:29 UTC 2012

Hello,

when creating a new VM from a template, i'd like to pass a hint of some
sort ( perhaps a hostname ) to it so that the internal config managment
system can do the rest of the setup. This should also be programmable
via the REST API, as I want to use it for automated deployments.

Has anyone had success doing this with Ovirt? i can only see two approaches:

- Put the hint in a floppy / iso and mount it on the VM.
- Hardcode a MAC address and let a DHCP server provide the hostname

Both of these do not seem very optimal to me. I'd appreciate some
thoughts from the community on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,