[Users] Question on configuring local storage on oVirt Node

Hans Lellelid hans at velum.net
Thu Mar 22 12:38:10 UTC 2012

Hi folks -

I hope this is the right place for this question; I have tried to Google
this but in general haven't been able to find much in the way of docs
outside of the main installation guide.

In aforementioned guide there are instructions for configuring local-only
storage on oVirt Node machines:

"On a oVirt Node host, set up the path for the local storage as
/data/images. This is the only path
permitted for a oVirt Node. On a Red Hat Enterprise Linux host other paths
are supported but the
directories to support it must be manually created first."

I'm probably missing something, but it's unclear to me how to create this
local storage mountpoint on that host.  (I don't see anything in the Node
TUI.)  I tried simply specifying "/data/images" in the hopes that it was
automatically created, but the Admin console just spun indefinitely
(eventually refreshing the page revealed that the store was note created).

I'm currently rebuilding that Node as a F16+VDSM box instead -- so I can
get in there and set this up manually (is there a way to get into schell on
oVirt Nodes and mess with the [F16-based?] OS?)

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hans