[Users] Question on configuring local storage on oVirt Node

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 14:50:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 08:38 -0400, Hans Lellelid wrote:
> Hi folks -
>

> I hope this is the right place for this question; I have tried to
> Google this but in general haven't been able to find much in the way
> of docs outside of the main installation guide.
>

> In aforementioned guide there are instructions for configuring
> local-only storage on oVirt Node machines:
>

> "On a oVirt Node host, set up the path for the local storage
> as /data/images. This is the only path
> permitted for a oVirt Node. On a Red Hat Enterprise Linux host other
> paths are supported but the
> directories to support it must be manually created first."
>

> I'm probably missing something, but it's unclear to me how to create
> this local storage mountpoint on that host.  (I don't see anything in
> the Node TUI.)  I tried simply specifying "/data/images" in the hopes
> that it was automatically created, but the Admin console just spun
> indefinitely (eventually refreshing the page revealed that the store
> was note created).
>

> I'm currently rebuilding that Node as a F16+VDSM box instead -- so I
> can get in there and set this up manually (is there a way to get into
> schell on oVirt Nodes and mess with the [F16-based?] OS?)

You can drop to the shell using F2 and create the directory that way.

IMO, since we restrict the location you can create a local data store,
we should automatically create that when configuring the local
datastore.

We can't actually pre-create the directory since it's a mounted
filesystem, but it might be possible to do it at installation or boot
time.  The right place is in vdsm when it's trying to create the local
data store.

Dan,  is this possible to do?  Isn't /data2/images also a possible
location?

Thanks

Mike