[Users] Question on configuring local storage on oVirt Node

Hans Lellelid hans at velum.net
Thu Mar 22 19:43:27 UTC 2012

> > I'm probably missing something, but it's unclear to me how to create
> > this local storage mountpoint on that host.  (I don't see anything in
> > the Node TUI.)  I tried simply specifying "/data/images" in the hopes
> > that it was automatically created, but the Admin console just spun
> > indefinitely (eventually refreshing the page revealed that the store
> > was note created).
> >

> > I'm currently rebuilding that Node as a F16+VDSM box instead -- so I
> > can get in there and set this up manually (is there a way to get into
> > schell on oVirt Nodes and mess with the [F16-based?] OS?)
>
> You can drop to the shell using F2 and create the directory that way.

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere, but I
was trying different consoles with "root" etc. and unsure on how to get to
the terminal.

> IMO, since we restrict the location you can create a local data store,
> we should automatically create that when configuring the local
> datastore.
>
> We can't actually pre-create the directory since it's a mounted
> filesystem, but it might be possible to do it at installation or boot
> time.  The right place is in vdsm when it's trying to create the local
> data store.

So, after initially attempting to just "create" the directory and being
told it was a read-only filesystem, I did a little more investigation and
realized that the "Data" volume (in /dev/HostVG) was simply not mounted.  I
mounted this with the command:

mount /dev/HostVG/Data /data

And now I have a /data/images directory (as well as /data/core).  I'm not
entirely sure why this wasn't mounted since I see it in /etc/fstab.  In
fact, when I discovered it was in /etc/fstab, I tried just

mount /data

And that also worked just fine.  So puzzled that thsi was not mounted when
the system booted up.  Maybe I missed an error message, but dmesg isn't
saying anything obvious (not sure if that's where I'd see mount errors or
not).  Maybe this is a known issue.

Thanks again for the help -- this definitely got me moving in the right
direction.  Hopefully I'm moments away from being able to get that first VM
running.

Thanks,
Hans