[Users] engine admin ui deltas

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 11:34:56 UTC 2012

I think that there is a bit of confusion here - let me try and clarify:

The purpose of the left tree-pane is to filter the "main view" (i.e. the right pane view, that contains the tab-panel with all the main tabs + sub-tabs) according to the selected item in the tree.
E.g., if you select a specific data-center "dc1" in the tree, the main-view will be filtered according to dc1, i.e. the "Data Centers" main tab will contain only dc1 in the grid and won't contain the "New"/"Remove" buttons in the actions top pane, the "Clusters" main tab will contain only the clusters that belong to dc1, the Storage main tab will contain only the storage domains that belong to dc1, the "New Storage Domain" dialog will allow you to create a new storage domain only within dc1, etc.

If you select the "Storage" tree-node within the "dc1" tree-node in the left tree pane, the main view will be filtered to display only the "Storage" main tab, which contains only the storage domains that are related to "dc1".

Regarding the two problematic scenarios that you have described:

1. I couldn't reproduce the buggy behavior that you have described, I must have missed something in your flow description. In particular I am not sure that I understood the second flow described:

i.   You clicked on the "Default" data-center within the left-pane tree.
ii.  You selected "Default" Data-Center (I assume that you meant in the grid in the Data-Center main tab?)
iii. You selected the "Storage" main tab
iv.  You attempted to create a new storage domain.

- Note that step ii doesn't matter here - the main tabs don't affect each other; the selected item in the left-pane tree affects all the main tabs altogether, however selection of something in one main tab doesn't affect anything in the other main tabs.

- The "New Storage Domain" dialog should appear the same, doesn't matter if opening it from the:
"System" -> "<specific-dc>" tree node, or from the:
"System" -> "<specific-dc>" -> "Storage" tree node.

I attached a screen-shot from my oVirt env, which shows that the dialog looks the same in both cases; in both cases, I can add either an ISO, Export or Data storage domains; the types of storage domains that can be added depend on the types of the already-attached storage domains in the relevant DC (I will elaborate if needed).

2. Removing a storage domain can be done only from the "Storage" main tab. However, you cannot remove the storage domain if the selected item in the left-pane tree is that specific storage domain. This is true for all other object-types that appear in the tree: If a specific item is selected in the tree, you cannot remove it (i.e. the "Remove" button won't appear in the relevant main tab).
Detaching a storage domain from a data-center / Moving a storage domain to maintenance / activating a storage domain can be done from either the Data-Center sub-tab in the Storage main tab, or from the Storage sub-tab in the Data-Center main tab - doesn't really matter which item is selected in the left-pane tree.

I hope I helped. I will be happy to further clarify if needed.

----
Thanks,
Einav