[Users] Configuring MTU

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 21:08:13 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Livnat Peer wrote:
>
> > On 29/03/12 22:16, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a way to configure MTU on a guest by guest basis? All our
> >> bond
> >> interfaces are configured as 9000 byte MTU, but we have a few
> >> guests
> >> that don't support that and need 1500 byte setting.
> >
> > Hi Nathan,
> >
> > There are patches in Gerrit for configuring the MTU on a Network
> > basis.
> > I hope these patches will be merged next week.
>
> Great!!
>
> > http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,2207
> >
> > Any reason you want to configure it on a guest by guest basis and
> > not on
> > a network basis?
>
> Sure, some of our VMs such as Acme Packet OSE have custom kernels and
> don't support jumbo frames.

Have you encountered any issues with it? although the bond supports 9000, sending a 1500 packet from the guest should work just fine.

The only way I can think of to control this per guest would be to configure the tap device of the vNIC, however, all devices connected to a bridge have to have the same mtu so changing one tap device would require changing them all which would beat the purpose.
So I'm not sure what you're actually asking for here.