[Users] request for WOL

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Tue May 1 21:34:51 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

No. Fencing is used when the node is not responsive, if we could ssh into it then it's unlikely we'd be fencing it.
When a node isn't responsive we need a mechanism to reset it but also confirm that it's been "dealt with", so using IPMI (which is in nearly all servers today, even whitebox), iLO, DRAC, IMM, etc allows us to connect to the management controller reboot it and confirm that it's been reset.

Other approaches we can take involve extending our use of sanlock.

> I was also interested in WOL and curious as to why it wasn't in there
> already. WOL allows the system to go into standby for power
> management (less desirable than Off, but standby could return to

actually more desirable than off in many cases - for example in the cluster policy we could put a node into powersaving mode and more quickly resurrect it when required.
That's been on "the list" for a long time - just needs patches .....