[Users] Static IP for VMs

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 10 01:26:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-5-10 2:08, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 04:43 PM, Shu Ming wrote:

>>> not yet. ovirt still doesn't handle ip assignments.

>> Can we create a IP pool in engine and make VDSM to request the IP. Then
>> VDSM assign the IP to guest agent to do the network setup.
>>

> not yet.
> engine only deals today with mac address pools, which you can use dhcp
> to assign.

If we don't have such features today,  I would like to initiate a new
project page about this.  The basic idea is:
I) Engine should have a pool of IPs. Engine also can assign a specific
IP to the VM or assign a random IP in the pool to the VM
II) ovirt agent in guest should request the IP from VDSM. And VDSM proxy
its request to engine.
III)After ovirt agent get the IP, it can configure the system in one time.

--
Shu Ming<shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory