[Users] Static IP for VMs

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu May 10 06:07:38 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 04:26 AM, Shu Ming wrote:
> On 2012-5-10 2:08, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> Can we create a IP pool in engine and make VDSM to request the IP. Then
>>> VDSM assign the IP to guest agent to do the network setup.
>>>

>> not yet.
>> engine only deals today with mac address pools, which you can use dhcp
>> to assign.
>>
> If we don't have such features today, I would like to initiate a new
> project page about this. The basic idea is:
> I) Engine should have a pool of IPs. Engine also can assign a specific
> IP to the VM or assign a random IP in the pool to the VM
> II) ovirt agent in guest should request the IP from VDSM. And VDSM proxy
> its request to engine.
> III)After ovirt agent get the IP, it can configure the system in one time.

I'm not sure ovirt-agent should take care of that.
i think it should be fine if the guest uses dhcp, but get the allocated IP.
Gary - can you please share how quantum solves this?
(since guest interface in ec2 is ip based, i assume the guest already
got the ip address via dhcp, so ip allocation is not one of the things i
expect the guest agent to own)