[Users] Static IP for VMs

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Thu May 10 08:13:01 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 10:56, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 10:55 AM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> At the moment there is work in progress of integrating Melange
>>> (http://wiki.openstack.org/Melange) into Quantum. This module takes
>>> care of the IP address management. Addition information can be seen at
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/Melange-dle454.html.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gary
>>
>> I personally think Melange is a short-sighted project, as the next item
>> would be to configure the firewall policy, then the SSH keys, etc., etc.
>> Something like Foreman (http://theforeman.org/ ) integration makes a lot
>> more sense to me.
>
> firewall is supposed to be covered by quantum afaiu.
> ssh keys is covered via the metadata service ("ec2 guest api") and cloud-init in fedora loads the relevant configuration from it (using http://169.254.169.254 to get it)

Technically this issue may be resolved via MAC-addresses;
you may specify your own MAC range in ovirt engine's DB,
and in your DHCP server, assign a pool o this mac range.
For specific VM addresses, assign the ip to the specific
MAC in the DHCP server. I know it's not a perfect solution,
but may work around issues until ovirt has such support.

--

/d

"This message is made with 100% recycled electrons. No new atoms were destroyed in the making of this message."