[Users] glusterfs and ovirt

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed May 16 09:59:55 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 07:35 PM, Andrei Vakhnin wrote:
> Yair
>
> Thanks for an update. Can I have KVM hypervisors also function as storage nodes for glusterfs? What is a release date for glusterfs support? We're looking for a production deployment in June. Thanks

current status is
1. patches for provisioning gluster clusters and volumes via ovirt are
in review, trying to cover this feature set [1].
I'm not sure if all of them will make the ovirt 3.1 version which is
slated to branch for stabilization June 1st, but i think "enough" is there.
so i'd start trying current upstream version to help find issues
blocking you, and following on them during june as we stabilize ovirt
3.1 for release (planned for end of june).

2. you should be able to use same hosts for both gluster and virt, but
there is no special logic/handling for this yet (i.e., trying and
providing feedback would help improve this mode).
I would suggest start from separate clusters though first, and only
later trying the joint mode.

3. creating a storage domain on top of gluster:
- expose NFS on top of it, and consume as a normal nfs storage domain
- use posixfs storage domain with gluster mount semantics
- future: probably native gluster storage domain, up to native
   integration with qemu

can you please describe the use case you are trying to accommodate?

thanks,
    Itamar

[1] http://ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Gluster_Support