[Users] booting a vm on a raw file disk definated in a hook script

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Fri May 25 14:47:22 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm using this hook script :
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=vdsm.git;a=blob;f=vdsm_hooks/vmdisk/before_vm_start.py;h=191d5c1af533e11d699b1d715d3c1ea60e28b787;hb=6817f1c6e3f5bc137d1f3bef45a2d0191465c7a3
My goal is to boot a vm on a vm image imported form libvirt/kvm. I want
to use this single image, that is to say without importing it into ovirt
with tools like v2v.
acathrow told me on irc that I'd have to change the boot order in the
xml, but I don't know how to proceed for many reasons:

  * I can't create a vm through the UI which would boot on the disk
    created by the hook script without first creating a disk on the
    relevant storage domain. If I try I have those warnings :

    hook: Cannot run VM without at least one bootable disk.
    Alternatives:
    -Create a disk for this VM, and rerun the VM.
    -Change the boot sequence using the Edit VM command (Boot Option
    Sub-Tab).
    -Use the Run-Once command to select a different boot option and
    rerun the VM.
  * If I run a vm with the first disk from the storage domain and an
    additional disk from the hook script, how could I change the boot
    order in the xml definition file if I don't know the xml definition
    of the main disk?

thanks all for your help

--
Nathanaël Blanchet (glafouille)