[Users] Procedure to change engine host name

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Mon Nov 12 17:12:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Jason Brooks <jbrooks at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/05/2012 08:03 AM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I see some interest on how to change the host name of the machine where
>> the engine runs (in release 3.1). This is a manual procedure that you
>> can use to do that:

I greatly appreciated these instructions, however there seems to be some
points missing.  The links on the landing page (User Portal, Administrator
Portal, Reports Portal) still have my old host name in them.  I can easily
work around this for the time being by clicking the link then manually
editing the URL of the failed page.  I my efforts to find out where this
might have happen, I found 2 places in the database that include the old
host name:

*option_id.*VdcBootStrapUrl
*option_id.*VirtualMachineDomainName.

I have corrected those and restarted oVirt engine, but the links still have
the old address.  So, I kept digging and found that there might be
references to the old host name in the storage_server_connections table,
e.g. ISOs.  Of course, that won't affect these links.

Where else might I find references to the old name?  Particularly for those
links?

Thanks!

> Thanks, Juan -- I'm sure this will come in handy!
>
> I've copied these instructions into a page on the oVirt wiki:
>
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/**How_to_change_engine_host_name<http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/How_to_change_engine_host_name>

I have put in a request for a wiki account and will update this page if I
am approved.  Please feel free to update before I get to it.  =)