[Users] Unable to access remote console in User portal from IE/Windows7

nasir nasir kollathodi at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 14:12:16 UTC 2012

27 nov 2012 kl. 20.30 skrev Itamar Heim:

> On 11/27/2012 11:53 AM, nasir nasir wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been experimenting with Ovirt 3.1 and so far most of the things
>> work. Many thanks indeed for this great free software! Now I am facing
>> an issue for accessing the remote console in User Portal from windows 7
>> client using IE9. I am able to login to the User Portal and access the
>> VM using the console button from Linux. But while I try the same from a
>> windows 7 machine, it is NOT working. When I click on the console
>> button, it doesn't pop any window or show anything. Some of the docs I
>> read says that for the first time, I would be greeted with an ActiveX
>> warning and can install the same to get the console. But I didnt get
>> anything of that kind. So my questions to you all are,
>>
>> -- Is User Portal and Console supported on Windows platform ?
>> -- If supported, is there anything  needed to be installed on the
>> Windows machine from which I am trying to access the User Portal ?( I
>> did install spice-guest-tools-0.exe on both VM and the Windows machine I
>> am trying to access the User Portal)
>> -- If not supported, what is the recommended way of accessing VMs from
>> windows clients ? I understand that the firefox spice-xpi plugin is only
>> for Linux.
>>
>> Relevant info,
>>
>> --OS : CentOS 6.3 64 bit
>> -- ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone-3.1.0-3.28.el6.noarch.rpm
>> (Actually I used the repo from http://www.dreyou.org/ovirt/ , )
>> -- Client from which I am trying to access: Windows 7 (32bit), IE 9
>>
>> Any reply would be highly appreciated and I would be more than happy to
>> send any further details if needed. I searched a lot for any relevant
>> docs for the same but could not find anything.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Nasir

> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/How_to_Connect_to_SPICE_Console_With_Portal

>>Too bad there´s still the bug in UserPortal that forgets to pass on the address to which the console should connect, so it won´t work any way...

>>/Karli

Thanks for sharing the documentation. Actually due to the lack of good documentation for Ovirt, I was following RHEV guides along with ovirt guides and hence  missed out this one. I followed the above link exactly(well, I think so :-) ) and still I could not get it done properly. When I click on the install plugin button using the URL http://my_ovirt_server/spice.html from the windows 7 machine which I was using to access the User Portal  , it is giving me a warning message by the browser asking whether you want to install it or not (which is expected ). But when I click to install, nothing happens. So I manually installed using the virt-viewer exe file which I had got by extracting the spice.cab file and I am able to access the console without any problem. This is OK for the time being as I can access the console from user portal after installing the ActiveX/spice plugins manually though I would strongly prefer the deployment model whereby users can
 click and install the plugins on the fly as described in the above link.

Thanks again,
Nasir