[Users] [vdsm] [ATTENTION] vdsm-bootstrap/host deployment (pre-3.2)

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 20:45:28 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Kenigsberg" <danken at redhat.com>

We should start and detach from specific distro procedures.

> > > I don't get the joke :-(. If you mind the location, we can think
> > > of
> > > somewhere else to put the core dumps. Would it be hard to
> > > reinstate a
> > > parallel feature in otopi?
> >
> > I usually do not make any jokes...
> > A global system setting should not go into package specific
> > location.
> > Usually core dumps are off by default, I like this approach as
> > unattended system may fast consume all disk space because of
> > dumps.
>
> If a host fills up with dumps so quickly, it's a sign that it should
> not
> be used for production, and that someone should look into the cores.
> (P.S. we have a logrotate rule for them in vdsm)

There should be a vdsm-debug-aids (or similar) to perform such changes.
Again, I don't think vdsm should (by default) modify any system width parameter such as this.
But I will happy to hear more views.

> > If sysadmin manually enables dumps, he may do this at a location of
> > his own choice.
>
> Note that we've just swapped hats: you're arguing for letting a local
> admin log in and mess with system configuration, and I'm for keeping
> centralized feature for storing and collecting core dumps.

As problems like crashes are investigated per case and reproduction scenario.
But again, I may be wrong and we should have VDSM API command to start/stop storing dumps and manage this via its master...