[Users] General challenges w/ Ovirt 3.1

Hans Lellelid hans at velum.net
Mon Oct 1 10:54:59 UTC 2012

Thanks for the response!

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 09/29/2012 01:37 PM, Hans Lellelid wrote:
>
>> I apologize in advance that this email is less about a specific
>> problem and more a general inquiry as to the most recommended /
>> likely-to-be-successful way path.
>>

> Having just gone through the process, I hope I can help a little! You
> might want to check (and add to) the Troubleshooting page where I
> documented the various hiccups I had, and how I addressed them:
>
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/**Troubleshooting<http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Troubleshooting>
>
> There's also "Node Troubleshooting" and "Troubleshooting NFS Storage
> Issues" which might help you: http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/**
> Node_Troubleshooting <http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Node_Troubleshooting>and
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/**Troubleshooting_NFS_Storage_**Issues<http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_NFS_Storage_Issues>
>
> Also Jason Brooks's "Up and running with oVirt 3.1" article is useful I
> think: http://blog.jebpages.com/**archives/up-and-running-with-**
> ovirt-3-1-edition/<http://blog.jebpages.com/archives/up-and-running-with-ovirt-3-1-edition/>

I have read a few of those resources, but not the main "Troubleshooting"
page, so I will scour the wiki to see if something might help me out.

>  2nd attempt: I re-installed the nodes as Fedora 17 boxes and
>> downgraded the kernels to 3.4.6-2.  Then I connected these from the
>> Engine (specifying the root pw) and watched the logs while things
>> installed.  After reboot neither of the servers were reachable.
>> Sitting in front of the console, I realized that networking was
>> refusing to start; several errors printed to the console looked like:
>>

> When you say that they are not reachable, what do you mean? By default,
> installing F17 as a node sets the iptables settings to:
> <snip>

I mean, that the network interfaces cannot be brought up, not an iptables
issue.  Sitting (well, standing, they're rack-mounted) in front of the
servers yields the multipath errors I mention when trying to start
networking.  What I started doing (and will likely continue to pursue) is
running etc under source control and start combing through the changes that
are introduced when I do the remote setup from the engine to see if I can
pick apart where it's going south.

> So if you're trying to ping the nodes, you should see nothing, but ssh,
> snmp and vdsm should be available. If you have a local console access to
> the nodes, you should check the IPTables config.
>
> I don't understand why you would lose your network connection entirely,
> though. I don't think that the network config for the nodes is changed by
> the installer.

Yeah, it's definitely changed by the installer.  The installer sets up the
ovirt-bridge (I think that is what it was called) and changes the primary
interfaces to reference the bridge, etc.  I didn't seen anything obviously
wrong with the setup, but clearly it was not working.  (I also didn't know
exactly what I was starting from, so that is my mistake and I should be
able to approach the next time with more confidence.)  I did the bridge
setup manually myself for attempt #3 and didn't have any problems.

>  3rd attempt: I re-installed the nodes with Fedora 17 and attempted to
>> install VDSM manually by RPM.  Despite following the instructions to
>> turn off ssl (ssl=false in /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf), I am seeing SSL
>> "unknown cert" errors from the python socket server with every attempt
>> of the engine to talk to the node.
>>

> Hopefully the "Node Troubleshooting" page (or somebody else) can help you
> here, I'm afraid I can't.
>

>  The
>> Fedora-17-installed-by-engine sounds good, but there's a lot of magic
>> there & it obviously completely broke my systems.  Is that where I
>> should focus my efforts?  Should I ditch NFS storage and just try to
>> get something working with local-only storage on the nodes?  (Shared
>> storage would be a primary motivation for moving to ovirt, though.)
>>

> I would focus on this approach, and would continue to aim to use NFS
> storage. It works fine as long as you are on the 3?4?x kernels.
>

>  I am very excited for this to work for me someday.  I think it has
>> been frustrating to have such sparse (or outdated?) documentation and
>> such fundamental problems/bugs/configuration challenges.  I'm using
>> pretty standard (Dell) commodity servers (SATA drives, simple RAID
>> setups, etc.).
>>

> The "Quick Setup Guide" was useful to me, as long as everything went well:
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/**Quick_Start_Guide<http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Quick_Start_Guide>
>
> Hope some of that is helpful!

I will take a look a that guide -- not sure if I've read that one yet.  I
will follow back up with what I learn / what works so it might help others.
 If there's a way that I can update the wiki to help those in my specific
predicament, I will do that too.  (It's possible there is something about
my [Dell] hardware that is not compatible with oVirt's default installer,
etc.)

Thanks,
Hans