[Users] Question about network card order

Igor Lvovsky ilvovsky at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 11:48:32 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Welcome to community :)

> The email concerns a Network Card order issue for which I like to
> report a have your advises.
>

> I've made a template which contains 2 network cards, Each one bridge
> on different vlan network.
> When I create a VM from this template, the network card mac address
> assignation is random... so that by default my fedora assign eth0 to
> the smallest mac address, and so on for eth1/eth2 ...
>

> But no way to define network card order in template, so that sometime
> the smallest mac address is on eth0, sometime on eth1 (and in fact
> more often on eth1), sometime my VM works, sometime I have to
> destroy and recreate network interfaces.

Unfortunately it's a known issue that related mostly to guest kernel rather than RHEV-M.
This is not related to order of NICs during VM start, because RHEV-M keep the MAC assignment
and even PCI address assignment same over VM reboots.

The real reason hidden somewhere deep in kernel/udev  behaviour.
We need to understand why 2 NICs with same MAC addresses and same PCI addresses may get different names (eth0/eth1)
over machine reboot.

Michael, any ideas?

> Is there a workaround or anything else ?

No, I am not aware of any workaround

Regards,
    Igor