[Users] fw: Migrating ovirt-engine to new server

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:17:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 04:04 PM, Neil wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for coming back to me.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> do you need to keep the VMs, or just move the LUNs to create a new one?
>>> if you just want to create a new one, you just need to clear the LUNs (DD
>>> over them) so engine will let you use them (or remove them from first
>>> engine
>>> which will format them for same end goal.
>>

>> I need to keep the VM's unfortunately.
>> Logically speaking all I need to do is detach the main data domain
>> from one ovirt-engine and re-attach it to the new ovirt-engine.
>
> sadly, not that easy yet (though just discussed today the need to push this
> feature).
>
> easiest would be to export them to an nfs export domain, re-purpose the
> LUNs, and import to the new system.
>
> if not feasible, need to hack a bit probably.

Oh crumbs! I thought that was wishful thinking though :)

Exporting the VM's to NFS will take too long due to the total size
being 4TB and the VM's are a mail, proxy and pdc servers so getting
that much downtime won't be possible. Is attempting the upgrade
path(http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/OVirt_3.0_to_3.1_upgrade) again my
only option then?
Even if I manage to get the "upgrade" working will I still need to
export/import the VM's via NFS or will the datacentre move across once
it can be detached?

Thanks!

Neil