[Users] Can oVirt be installed in a virtual machine?

Nicolas Chenier dascope at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 19:48:38 UTC 2012

Are there any issues running oVirt at a remote location than the oVirt-node
machines?

I have a site-to-site VPN, ovirt-node machines at one end and an ovirt
machine at the other.

Is there a lot of traffic (bandwidth) use between ovirt and ovirt-node
machines? My iSCSI NAS is with my ovirt-node machines.

I have 10mbit down and 1 mbit up at my remote site running the ovirt
server... my ovirt-nodes and nas are at a colocation centre.

Much appreciated!

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Keith Robertson <kroberts at redhat.com>wrote:

> [...]
> different problems.  I would say that virt-manager is probably OK for a
> small setup, but I wouldn't deploy an enterprise solution around it.
>
> You have enough gear for a small oVirt setup.  Run with that and add more
> nodes as you can.  My 2c.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Nic
>

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Keith Robertson <kroberts at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>>  On 09/22/2012 02:28 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
>>
>> Question - if oVirt goes down... do the ovirt-nodes and VMs remain up?
>>

>> Keith, how would you set yourself up with these specs:
>>
>> 2 host servers (quad-core xeons with 32gigs of ram)
>>
>>  Are you saying that you only have 2 machines in total, or that you have
>> 2 machines that can be dedicated hypervisors (ie. ovirt-node) and a third
>> machine that can be a dedicated manager?
>>
>> If the former then one machine must run some version of *nix compatible
>> with oVirt Manager and, the other machine in this scenario can simply run
>> ovirt-node.
>>
>> If the latter, then you have 1 box dedicated as a manager and 2 boxes as
>> dedicated hypervisors.  This is a fairly basic/good setup.
>>
>> 1 iSCSI NAS
>>
>> Starting to think there is no way to achieve HA with this setup?
>>
>>  Not with only 2 boxes.  No.
>>
>> oVirt requires a dedicated machine?
>>
>>  Generally, speaking.  Yes.
>>
>> Truly HA setups aren't cheap and people often have different ideas of
>> what constitutes HA.  Offhand I would think that you would need...
>>
>> - 2 boxes for the oVirt manager
>> - Clustering software for the manager to facilitate an active/passive
>> setup.
>> - UPSs (at *least* 2) which can be controlled by clustering software.
>> Why?  Most clustering SW require a fence device.  These will be your fence
>> devices.
>> - 2 boxes for your hypervisors (ie. ovirt-nodes).  This will facilitate
>> fail-over from one node to the other.
>>
>> HA isn't cheap and can't usually be done on 2 boxes, IMO unless you're
>> failing over a single app.
>>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> Nic
>>
>> PS. Could oVirt be integrated into ovirt-node on every server?
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Keith Robertson <kroberts at redhat.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  On 09/22/2012 01:09 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> I have oVirt running in a VM off my Desktop (Fedora 17 w/ KVM &
>>> Virt-Manager) off my iSCSI NAS.
>>>
>>> I've attached Server #1 as my first host (it's running ovirt-node).
>>>
>>> In the process of setting up my storage domains. I have a few questions
>>> to the experts out there:
>>>
>>> 1) How do I add my CD .ISOs to setup new VMs? Create iSCSI storage
>>> domain? But then how do I copy my ISOs to it?
>>>
>>>  Create an ISO storage domain and use the ovirt-iso-uploader to add your
>>> ISOs and .vfd files into that domain.
>>>

>>> 2) Can I run my oVirt VM from ovirt-node machine, without running it in
>>> oVirt (ie. setup iSCSI in virt-manager (as it is now) and run oVirt from