[Users] [oVirt 3.1] Spice USB support

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 06:00:27 UTC 2012

On 10/08/2012 04:34 PM, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com
> <mailto:iheim at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/08/2012 03:29 PM, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com
>         <mailto:iheim at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:iheim at redhat.com <mailto:iheim at redhat.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 10/08/2012 04:29 AM, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
>
>                  Hi !!
>
>                  I have a Windows 7 VM with spice protocol with usb
>         redirection
>                  enabled
>                  but I cannot access to e.g. to a pendrive.
>                  It's already supported this feature ?
>

>              (adding spice-devel)
>              please note only the native spice usb mode is supported
>         (legacy is not).
>              which client?
>              which guest?
>              which ovirt version?
>

>         The mode is set yo legacy, I tried to switch to native but the VM
>         doesn't starts, and show the following error: VM Win7 is down. Exit
>         message: internal error Process exited while reading console log
>         output:
>         qemu-kvm: -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=usb,bus=pci.__0,addr=0x1.0x2:
>         Duplicate ID 'usb' for device .
>

>     legacy isn't relevant to ovirt (its legacy...).
>     the native error was already fixed.
>     which versions of ovirt engine are you using?
>

> - oVirt version: oVirt Engine Version:3.1.0-3.19.el6
>

>         - client:
>         RHEV-Agent 3.0.10
>         RHEV-Block 3.0.8
>         RHEV-Network 3.0.6
>         RHEV-Serial 3.0.5
>         RHEV-Spice 3.0.5
>         RHEV-Spice-Agent 3.0.4
>         RHEV-Tools 3.0.37
>         RHEV-USB 3.0.8
>

>     wait, these are rhev, not ovirt?
>     (rhev does have legacy usb mode)
>

> I downloaded those package from the Internet, what are the guest
> packages supposed to be installed ?

1. not sure where you downloaded them from - they are not
re-distributable in their binary form afair.

2. these are the guest tools, you would need the client tools as well,
which in legacy mode require some proprietary 3rdparty software (hence
it is legacy)

3. i recommend trying the new native mode (i.e, which spice client
supports, open source based).