[Users] call for suggests on oVirt authentication back-end (directory service, etc.)

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Tue Oct 9 13:56:23 UTC 2012

Thanks to Tim Hildred, I found out about the need to have a directory
server.  Before I embark on this path, I thought I could ping the community
to get a since for what is common, easy, and/or available to best suit our
wants.

First, what's the easiest one to setup and use?  Something with a simple
GUI would be desirable: a webmin module perhaps?

Most ideal would be something that is in line with our desire to move
towards single sign on, ultimately authenticating against Google Apps.  Does
Google provide something supported?  Is there something that can proxy
google apps auth to an oVirt supported protocol?

Alternately, we have an LDAP server, but it does NOT store passwords, and
as such, does not provide authentication for anything.  Will oVirt store
passwords for users created from such an LDAP service, or does LDAP need to
be the authority as well?

Finally, we also have NIS setup (thought we hope to get away from that
soon), so some means of authenticating through the systems local PAM system
would be the next most convenient.

These are just thoughts and I am completely open to suggestions.  Thanks in
advance for any input! =)

Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com