[Users] [oVirt 3.1] reinstallation

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Sat Oct 13 08:39:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 10/11/2012 03:52 AM, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> I'm trying to reinstall but when I execute: engine-cleanup I get the
> following errors:

<snip>

> Stopping ovirt-engine service...                        [ ERROR ]
>
> Error: Couldn't connect to the database server.Check that connection is
> working and rerun the cleanup utility
> Error: Cleanup failed.
> please check log at
> /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine-cleanup_2012_10_10_23_38_30.log

I had the same issue and found out what the problem was by looking in
the oVirt start-up logs - the issue was that the database was not
starting, because of an operating system setting (which I documented in
http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Troubleshooting in the section "I am having
trouble connecting to the database. In the system log, I get the
following message from Postgres").

The issue is that SHMMAX is set low on Fedora 17 by default, and you
need to increase it.

Let me know if this is the problem, or whether this is a different issue
for you.

Thanks,
Dave.

--