[Users] general questions ovirt-engine migration 3.0 /use of ovirt-node/monitoring ovirt node

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 11:54:04 UTC 2012

On 10/25/2012 01:27 PM, Sven Knohsalla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some general questions I couldn’t find answers in the web about
> ovirt-engine migration:
>
> Currently we’re running an ovirt-engine 3.0/ ovirt-node 2.3.0 environment,
>
> If we want to migrate to 3.1, do we also have to migrate to 3.2, or is a
> “simple” update possible, or is it worth to wait with migration until
> 3.2 has been released?

in general, no.
ovirt 3.1 supports 3.0 for backward compatibility mode.

> Hint:  A migration(import/export) with about 50 VMs is time-intensive,
> as we need to plan maintenance windows for every VM :/

you should be able to just upgrade your nodes and/or your engine
independently.

> We also want to test newer ovirt-nodes & default fedora, I didn’t find
> any info about operability with ovirt-engine 3.0:

should be backward compatible.

> Can we mix 2.3.0 node with latest version under ovirt-engine 3.0 or is
> there any problem with vdsm or anything else?

should work.
(I'm using should, since i don't remember a specific test case for this
wen 3.1 was released, but we it is a goal to not break this).

> Monitoring:
>
> If we wish to install check_mk (monitoring) on ovirt-node, how can we
> make sure the installation will be persistent?

that's for mike...

> (Collectd can’t be used in our environment)
>
> The alternative would be , to use default fedora installations,
> customized as ovirt-node.

you don't need too much customizations. you should be able to just "add
host" from the ui pointing to a fedora host (fedora 17 comes with vdsm
in its default repo). you can define the ovirt repo for newer versions.