[Users] general questions ovirt-engine migration 3.0 /use of ovirt-node/monitoring ovirt node

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 12:39:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 13:54 +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 01:27 PM, Sven Knohsalla wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some general questions I couldn’t find answers in the web about
> > ovirt-engine migration:
> >
> > Currently we’re running an ovirt-engine 3.0/ ovirt-node 2.3.0 environment,
> >
> > If we want to migrate to 3.1, do we also have to migrate to 3.2, or is a
> > “simple” update possible, or is it worth to wait with migration until
> > 3.2 has been released?
>
> in general, no.
> ovirt 3.1 supports 3.0 for backward compatibility mode.
>

> > Hint:  A migration(import/export) with about 50 VMs is time-intensive,
> > as we need to plan maintenance windows for every VM :/
>
> you should be able to just upgrade your nodes and/or your engine
> independently.
>

> > We also want to test newer ovirt-nodes & default fedora, I didn’t find
> > any info about operability with ovirt-engine 3.0:
>
> should be backward compatible.
>

> > Can we mix 2.3.0 node with latest version under ovirt-engine 3.0 or is
> > there any problem with vdsm or anything else?
>
> should work.
> (I'm using should, since i don't remember a specific test case for this
> wen 3.1 was released, but we it is a goal to not break this).
> >
> > Monitoring:
> >
> > If we wish to install check_mk (monitoring) on ovirt-node, how can we
> > make sure the installation will be persistent?
>
> that's for mike...

There are a few things you can do:

On a running system, you can install the package(s) using rpm, then go
and manually run persist on each and every file the package installs.
You might still run into issues if the package is not good about
run-time files going into the right places.

The next thing you can do is use plugin tooling to install the package
into an iso image that you would then install on your node machines.

on a separate (non-node) machine,
# yum install ovirt-node-tools
# create a yum repo somewhere that contains the package and all
dependencies (assuming ./repo)
# have a copy of the latest ovirt-node iso locally
(assuming ./ovirt-node-iso.iso)
# run edit-node

edit-node --name=ovirt-node-iso-check_mk --install-plugin=check-mk-agent
--repo=file:///path/to/repo ovirt-node-iso.iso

This will install the package into the iso image itself.  When you
install the ISO, the package will be available.  You then will need to
configure and persist the configuration files manually.

Mike