[Users] can't add hosts due to version compatibility with latest nightly

Brian Vetter bjvetter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 21:17:11 UTC 2012

I decided to start over and reinstall with the latest nightly build. When trying to get the system setup, I get the following error when trying to add a host.

Host mech is compatible with versions (3.0,3.1) and cannot join Cluster DCCluster which is set to version 3.2

I saw no way to create a cluster for any other version (it only provides a 3.2 choice in the drop down).

I noticed that the vdsm rpms in the nightly repository were at version 4.10.1-0.79 as opposed to the 4.10.0 version I saw on the system after adding the host. On a lark, I logged into that system and tried installing/upgrading the vdsm version manually using the nightly build. When I tried this, I got an error saying that it required libvirt >= 0.10.1-1. To get around that, I had to download all of the libvirt rpms for 0.10.1-1 (not in yum) and installed them, and then upgraded vdsm.

I did seem to run into one issue - the system did not reboot on its own (ovirt had it in "reboot" mode). I had to log into the system to reboot it manually to get it to move to the next state and activate.

So I have a few questions. Is the ovirt-engine supposed to push a matching vdsm version (one that supports 3.2) to the host when it is added? If so, it doesn't appear to do that and instead it pushes an older one that was only 3.1 "compatible".

And if it should have pushed a newer version (possibly matching the nightly vdsm build), it seems like there is a push to use a newer version of libvirt. I would presume that is coming in FC18. So are the current nightly builds expected to only run on a FC18 beta type release (which is supposedly coming soon)?

Brian