[Users] Lun snapshots by a san

pierre Labanowski pierre.labanowski at xlim.fr
Thu Apr 18 09:08:07 UTC 2013

Le 18/04/2013 04:50, Shu Ming a écrit :
> pierre Labanowski:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have a question, or more precisely information or best practice.
>>
>> I use oVirt 3.1 with an attachment on fiber channel on my SAN. Makes it
>> even the San snapshots that are replicated on a remote site.
>>
>> it's a procedure for adding a new "Storage" Domain to another Data
>> Centers (oVirt) in order to recover the state of a VM snapshoted by
>> the SAN?
>
> If I understand correctly, the remote SAN of you can snapshot the
> storage domain(physical lun in the SAN) lively. And you hope to
> recover the storage domain with the previous snapshot stored in the SAN.
> So you create a new "storage" domain for another data center and
> restart the VM from the newstorage domain. I am not sure if the VM
> disks in the storage domain snapshot is in consistent date if the SAN
> snapshot the VM in a running state. I think the VM OS should be
> notified and make sure it is in consistent state before the SAN can do
> the snapshot, also the VM OS should be notified with the finish of the
> snapshotting..

Thank you for your answer,

Yes of course, yet a little fsck is not a problem when you can restore
an entire VM after a big crash. But, create a new "storage" domain for
another data center is forbiden because this a new "storage" domain is
not empty, i have a error in ovirt when create a new "storage" domain
with my snapshot, it's on this point that I have a problem, adding of
lun snapshoted on a new "storage" domain

Pierre