[Users] Problems Starting Engine After Borked FC17-18 Upgrade

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 12:03:07 UTC 2013

Il 18/04/2013 11:34, Chris Steinle ha scritto:

> Hi all,
>

> Wanting to upgrade to oVirt 3.2 for a number of the new features, I
> upgraded to FC18 from FC17 in preparation. This upgrade failed rather
> nastily, leaving me with both fc17 and fc18 versions installed for a
> number of RPMs. Having unpicked this and resolved a number of issues,
> including a rather nasty networking issue and having to manually
> upgrade the oVirt DB from PostgreSQL 9.1 to 9.2, I'm now trying to get
> oVirt itself back up and running.

Hi Chris, the upgrading from Fedora 17 with oVirt 3.1 to Fedora 18 with
oVirt 3.2 still has some issues open.
I'm assuming you haven't disabled the ovirt repo during the upgrade of
Fedora, so ovirt was upgraded by fedup.

> I'm running a single server in "all-in-one" mode.
>

> Initially the engine.log and server.log files were reporting that they
> could not connect to PostgreSQL, with PostgreSQL complaining about
> unauthorized access attempts. I managed to get psql connecting to the
> engine DB with what I believed was the correct password I set up on
> first install, but the error persisted. I've now set pg_hba.conf to
> "trust" everywhere just to get around this, which while not really an
> issue given the security actually required on this server, does
> concern me that there may be further issues with the DB.

I'm assuming you've already fixed your installed rpms with yum
distro-sync and upgraded the posgresql database using postgresql-setup
upgrade.
But if you've not run engine-upgrade the DB schema was not updated.
The only way I can suggest you for having it running again is to try to
downgrade your rpms to oVirt 3.1 taking them from oVirt repo for Fedora 17.
Once ovirt is running again, I think you should be able to do a backup
(http://www.ovirt.org/User_talk:Stkeimond/Backing_Up_And_Restoring_OVirt),
export your VMs, install oVirt from Fedora 18 oVirt repository and
re-import your VMs on a fresh install.

> Now that the connection is being established, however, I am getting
> other errors. If have included what I believe are the relevant log
> file entries. I am now somewhat stumped -- it looks like the DB
> contents may not have been upgraded to 3.2, judging by what looks like
> missing stored procedures. However, I am not sure that this is the
> problem, and even if it is I am unsure how to resolve this without
> destroying the current system and starting again. In fact, given the
> inherent instability in using Fedora, I am tempted to move to CentOS6
> and the EL6 oVirt repos that now exist, so if there was an alternative
> get-out that would enable me to export the VMs and import them in to a
> new system.
>

> In short -- HELP! J
>

> Cheers,
>

> Chris