[Users] oVirt 3.2.1 - VM in unknown status

Piotr Szubiakowski piotr.szubiakowski at nask.pl
Fri Apr 19 10:50:21 UTC 2013

>>> Hi,
>>> I had a nfs storage problems and one of my VM's is now in unknown
>>> state. The VM is not attached to any host. The virsh tool shows that
>>> VM is not running now. Is there any way to bring that kind of VM
>>> back to life?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Piotr
>>>

>> Hi,
>> I found workaround for this situation. There is a possibility to
>> change the VM status manually in database:
>>
>> update vm_dynamic set status=0 where
>> vm_guid='1d5342a3-9375-49c5-bf2a-2bd444d41d09';
>>
>> @oVirt developers
>> It seems that in some situations, VM with'unknown' status has no
>> chances to change state. When all hosts in data center are up and the
>> VM is not attached to any host it's a dead end. In this particular
>> situation oVirt engine administrator can't perform any actions on
>> "lost" VM. Is any way to handle this case without database access?
>>
> the state transition in this case is the engine responsibility and not
> the user. its done by monitoring all VMs on all Hosts periodically.
> Whats more interesting is how have you got to that situation and if
> its worth a bug please be kind to report it.

Hi Roy,
I reported a bug (953839). If it would be considered as worth to fix I
can provide some help.

I haven't introduce jet to the oVirt community. So I'm software engineer
in the Polish Research and Academic Computer Network. Mainly I'm Java EE
developer. We use oVirt to manage our development and testing
environments. I'm very enthusiastic about oVirt project.

PS
sorry for my English. I try to do my best ;-)

Best regards,
Piotr