[Users] snapshots, checkpoints etc...

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Apr 20 21:01:13 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 12:48 PM, Jiri Belka wrote:
> Probably not the best list for this question but anyway...
>
> * "snapshot" as it is done with 'savevm' from qemu monitor saves disk,
>    cpu, memory state of running VM... but
>
>    1. it must be qcow2 image
>    2. it pauses the VM for couple of seconds
>
>    is this right?

if you are asking on qemu behavior then yes.
ovirt doesn't support this type of snapshot (with state) tet, and is
using qcow2 with external backing file (which allows to use a raw image
for the base one).
there is active work to add snapshot with ram.

> * snapshots is only for block devices, are done offline

why not nfs/posix/localfs?

> * live snapshot is only for block devices, can be done online

non block as well.

> * snapshot tree with branches is not supported now
>
>    am I right?

apart from a special state of previewing an older snapshot, no.

> So my understanding there is no way to have a "photo", in qemu language
> _checkpoint_, in VMWare language _snapshot_ without interupting the VM.
> Am I right? Any comments?

live snapshot with ram should cover this. interruption to vm is supposed
to be similar to live migration - not noticeable (YMMV).