[Users] oVirt support for backup/restore

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Apr 21 12:42:43 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 04/19/2013 11:46 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> >

> >> qemu-guest-agent isn't ovirt/rhev-guest-agent.
> >> now that qemu started their own guest agent, ovirt/rhev-guest-agent isn't
> >> used for things covered by the qemu-guest-agent.
> >
> > Ah, ok.
> > SO after reading
> > http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Qemu_guest_agent
> > some questions
> >
> > can we use ootb qemu-guest-agent with ovirt 3.2.1 if we have for
> > example a CentOS 6 guest (with qemu-guest-agent-0.12.1.2-2.355)?
> > Does oVirt create a virtio-serial port to communicate with libvit and
> > does it use libvirt with any options to quiesce  fs on guest?
>
> iirc, it should work - testing/feedback would be welcome.

I believe vdsm does not create the virtio-serial port when starting the VM, so you'd have to modify this behaviour with hooks [1].
Once you do that, whenever you create a live snapshot vdsm will notify libvirt to quiesce first.
Note that afaik, quiesce in qemu-ga is only supported for Linux guests.  VSS quiesce support patches have been submitted, but I'm not sure what the status is there yet.

[1] Hooks preso: http://www.ovirt.org/File:OVirt-hooks-netapp-jan2013.odp